Monday, August 11, 2008

Community Composting

For the last year I have been using a private service called Community Composting to take away my compost each month. The cost is $20 a month and this takes away a 360 litre full bin of material, though they will take more if you have more.

I can put in almost anything from yard including branches up to 6" in diameter - that is pretty big. I return I get a 20 litre bag of compost.

I like that a private business is doing this but they only have 800 subscribers at the moment in the core of the region here. This is not enough people doing it. I would like to see almost every household take part in this, something like recycling. We collectively produce a lot of yard waste and have no effective way for it to be disposed of, this service is perfect to deal with the waste issues.

No comments: