Friday, April 17, 2009

Elkington Forest

I was pointed in the direction of this interesting website by Catherine Novak. The idea is to combine eco-forestry with housing and the retention of wilderness values. I find the ideas very interesting. Here is how they describe it:

Living Forest Communities is a community development model that accomplishes two goals. Primarily, we wish to establish and maintain sustainable natural forest ecosystems in perpetuity through land conservation and ecosystem-based forestry. Secondly, we achieve this objective through the creation of attractive, "light-on-the-land" residential hamlets modeled after traditional European towns.
I do not have a lot of time to look into this in full detail, but on the surface it is very interesting. There is no danger of me moving out there because I have made a defacto generational commitment to the house I am living in.

They have a Facebook fan page with some recent photos of the land.

Now I have to get back to work - I need to have the final version of reports on Kwantlen, Chawathil, Union Bar and Boothroyd today.

No comments: