Saturday, August 16, 2008

Dragonboat Festival

I am tired from a day volunteering at the Dragonboat festival. I am once again impressed by how well the event is run, how accessible everything is. The event is inviting to the public and manages to look after the paddlers very well. This is in contrast to numerous other events in this city.

The Tallships festival only feels like a tourist trap money grab. Money to be on site, money to stand in line and see anything and stupid money to eat anything. Compare this to the Dragonboat festival which feels like a real community event.

The ICA Folkfest also felt like a cash grab in the last years. The ICA Folkfest used to be a wonderful celebration of community ethnic foods and performers. In the end it was a disconnected from the city. In the last few years they have been horribly shabby in their treatment of volunteers. The Dragonboat festival does a wonderful job of volunteer care - unlimited coffee, snacks, a good t-shirt, meals, drinks and a bang up appreciation party next week.

I had wanted to go to the E&N days this weekend, but volunteering for Dragonboat has made that impossible. From a report of someone that was out in Langford at the event today, it sounds like it was logistical nightmare. I wonder what the whole event was like.

I would have loved to have ridden on a Budd car again. From 1995 to 2003 I used the BC Rail Budd car service from Lillooet to North Vancouver about 50 or 60 times. I liked the quirky and slow service. Maybe next year if they run trains again and do not choose a weekend when I am busy.

1 comment:

Benjamin Madison said...

I am in complete agreement with what you say about the various festivals - most have been very disappointing to me this year - strictly focused on cash extraction to the point where the experience was often unpleasant. The Dragonboat Festival was a real exception. I enjoyed everthing and contributed where I could. I like your blog(s) and am linking to this one from mine.