From an email I received from the Friends of Cuthbert Holmes Park:
Despite receiving no funding this year, Carolyn and Paula are hosting an ad hoc RiverSong celebration on Rivers’ Day – Sunday Sept. 30th from 1 – 3 pm.
Details are as follows:
6th Annual RiverSong: Sing the Salmon Home
Sunday Sept 30, 2012 1-3pm
Cuthbert Holmes Park, Meadow Park entrance and to the estuary access trail.
Follow the signs.
Tea Sing Walk Chat
Invite neighbours and friends. Bring a cup.
The second event:
The 1st Annual Victoria Writer's Festival Friday October 12th and Saturday October 13th.
The events all take place at Camosun College on Landsdowne
I would love to go but I am camping that weekend.
List of authors coming to the event (many of them are UVic Creative Writing Faculty):
(the list is inspiring me to read some more of the books by the authors)
- Ronald Wright
- Esi Edugyan - I feel like I should read Half Blood Blues but I do not know why, it has never resonated with me. I think I will start with The Second Life of Samuel Tyne
- Steven Price - Into That Darkness is his novel and has reviewed well
- Anakana Schofield - Malarky sounds very interesting
- Daniel Griffin - Stopping for Strangers intrigues me
- Jan Zwicky
- Tim Lilburn
- Melanie Siebert
- Craig Boyko
- Robert Bringhurst
- Susan Musgrave
- Tricia Dower - I am not sure I want to read Stony River......
- Christin Geall
- Arleen Pare
- Matthew Hooton - I want to read his novel Deloume Road
- Terence Young - another novel I am interested is After Goodlake's
- Madeline Sonik
- Maleea Acker
- Yasuko Thanh
- Patricia Young
- David Leach
- Elizabeth May
- Brian Brett - I have been meaning to read Trauma Farm: A Rebel History of Rural Life
- Janet Rogers
- Bill Gaston
- Monique Gray Smith
Update on September 28th - I asked Sheila to choose one of the books from the list for the both of us to read and she chose Trauma Farm.