Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Two local Events - RiverSong Sept 30th @ Cuthbert Holmes Park and Victoria Writer's Festival Oct 12-13


From an email I received from the Friends of Cuthbert Holmes Park:

Despite receiving no funding this year, Carolyn and Paula are hosting an ad hoc RiverSong celebration on Rivers’ Day – Sunday Sept. 30th from 1 – 3 pm.

Details are as follows:

6th Annual RiverSong: Sing the Salmon Home
Sunday Sept 30, 2012      1-3pm
Cuthbert Holmes Park, Meadow Park entrance and to the estuary access trail.
Follow the signs.
Tea Sing Walk Chat
Invite neighbours and friends. Bring a cup.

The second event:

The 1st Annual Victoria Writer's Festival Friday October 12th and Saturday October 13th.

The events all take place at Camosun College on Landsdowne

I would love to go but I am camping that weekend.
List of authors coming to the event (many of them are UVic Creative Writing Faculty):
(the list is inspiring me to read some more of the books by the authors)
-------------------------
Update on September 28th - I asked Sheila to choose one of the books from the list for the both of us to read and she chose Trauma Farm.


5 comments:

Tricia Dower said...

Say, Bernard, why don't you want to read Stony River? I'm just curious.

Bernard said...

Tricia, it is because of the subject material. I worry that there is the sort of darkness in the book that I really do not want to approach at the moment. The reviews all sound like it is compelling reading but that plot.....

Tricia Dower said...

Okay, I understand. I think it's got a few laughs in it, too, but then I may have a strange sense of humour. And I'm a big proponent of not reading books and seeing films you suspect will disturb you. So good for you choosing carefully.

Bernard said...

At another time it might work well for me, but my life is overly stressful at the moment and I need to look after myself. As an example I am an avid watcher of the German TV series Tatort but recently I was watching an episode and it was building up a suspense to a horrible death of a five year child, I had to stop watching.

So it all has to do with me and not your book. If Penguin is bringing it out that says to me it is of high quality.

Tricia Dower said...

Thanks, Bernard.