Thursday, October 27, 2011

Some help with the local elections

I got this email today, the person asked that their name not be posted.   This gives people one more person's opinion on the school board elections

Hi Bernard,


I regularly check out your blog. For a number of years I was involved in sd61 PACs and some of its committees, my kids were younger then. For at least two years I went to Board meetings. I felt I was a witness to important decisions that had so few in the audience. But I stopped going because it made me feel so sick ---toxic is more the word. Shinanegans, non-answers to questions. The majority-assured voted. The skimpy Minutes. Anyway I stopped going. I am still interested though.


Here are some other links to check out.


Victoria Public Education Coalition www.vpec.org


Linda Travers is writing a series (read all the sections so far) about her experience attending board meetings during the last few years. I know Linda from those meetings: I think of her as a classic Nancy Drew: persistent, smart, patient.


Victoria Confederation of Parent Advisory Councils www.vcpac.ca


This is the District PAC for SD61 schools. They will host two all-trustee meetings so you can check out all the candidates, Nov 9 and Nov 15. The info is on their website.


Another candidate I have run into is Deborah Nohr www.deborahnohr.ca


She has information about herself.


Your previous entry about “plumping” your vote has strong significance for the Trustee vote. I will use this strategy.

1 comment:

Diane McNally said...

I share this poster's frustration with School Board meetings in Greater Victoria SD61. I'm sorry the individual feels reluctance to go public with his or her name. Citizens need to be open about speaking up. I'm a candidate for School Trustee along with Deborah Nohr and Edith Loring-Kuhanga as an affiliated team. Edith and I also have information about ourselves on our websites: Diane McNally http://lined-paper.com/ and Edith: http://www.electedith.ca/index.html