Friday, June 17, 2011

Sidney Island

From http://sidneyisland.ca
I am off this weekend to camp on Sidney Island.   I have been telling people about this for a couple of weeks and it is amazing how many people have no idea where this is or what it is like.

I have only been there once before, a few years back for a day hike with the Scouts.   Not really enough time to explore all of the island.    One of the most impressive parts of the Island is the

The northern third of the island is now park of the Gulf Islands National Park and has a number of campsites close to the dock where the ferry comes in from Sidney.

The sandspit is bit over two kilometers long and rarely more than 50 meters wide - parts of it is under water during high tide.

You can get there by catching the ferry from the dock in Sidney.

It is once more an area of natural beauty in this region that people seem to be utterly unaware of.

I will post some pics after the weekend.

1 comment:

Dave Killion said...

I once took my Scouts over by canoe. It was a very nice paddle. We took our own fresh water, because the water they have available is fit for consumption, but tastes salty.